New hours of service rules released by FMCSA

Discussion in 'General Trucking Discussion' started by Maria, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Maria

Maria Diet Coke Staff Member

WASHINGTON - U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood today announced a final rule that employs the latest research in driver fatigue to make sure truck drivers can get the rest they need to operate safely when on the road. The new rule by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) revises the hours-of-service (HOS) safety requirements for commercial truck drivers.

"Trucking is a difficult job, and a big rig can be deadly when a driver is tired and overworked," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "This final rule will help prevent fatigue-related truck crashes and save lives. Truck drivers deserve a work environment that allows them to perform their jobs safely."

As part of the HOS rulemaking process, FMCSA held six public listening sessions across the country and encouraged safety advocates, drivers, truck company owners, law enforcement and the public to share their input on HOS requirements. The listening sessions were live webcast on the FMCSA Web site, allowing a broad cross-section of individuals to participate in the development of this safety-critical rule.

"This final rule is the culmination of the most extensive and transparent public outreach effort in our agency's history," said FMCSA Administrator Anne S. Ferro. "With robust input from all areas of the trucking community, coupled with the latest scientific research, we carefully crafted a rule acknowledging that when truckers are rested, alert and focused on safety, it makes our roadways safer."

FMCSA's new HOS final rule reduces by 12 hours the maximum number of hours a truck driver can work within a week. Under the old rule, truck drivers could work on average up to 82 hours within a seven-day period. The new HOS final rule limits a driver's work week to 70 hours.

In addition, truck drivers cannot drive after working eight hours without first taking a break of at least 30 minutes. Drivers can take the 30-minute break whenever they need rest during the eight-hour window.

The final rule retains the current 11-hour daily driving limit. FMCSA will continue to conduct data analysis and research to further examine any risks associated with the 11 hours of driving time.

The rule requires truck drivers who maximize their weekly work hours to take at least two nights' rest when their 24-hour body clock demands sleep the most - from 1:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. This rest requirement is part of the rule's "34-hour restart" provision that allows drivers to restart the clock on their work week by taking at least 34 consecutive hours off-duty. The final rule allows drivers to use the restart provision only once during a seven-day period.

Companies and drivers that commit egregious violations of the rule could face the maximum penalties for each offense. Trucking companies that allow drivers to exceed the 11-hour driving limit by 3 or more hours could be fined $11,000 per offense, and the drivers themselves could face civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense.

Commercial truck drivers and companies must comply with the HOS final rule by July 1, 2013. The rule is being sent to the Federal Register today and is currently available on FMCSA's Web site at http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/HOSFinalRule.
  2. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
  3. rigjockey

rigjockey Damned Fernour! Staff Member

I like the full 2 days for a re-set besause I re-set at home and I hate having just 34/36 off but If I was re-setting at a truck stop I would not be happy !
  4. bigyellowpete

bigyellowpete Town Bike Supporter

I am going to reserve judgement on the new regs until I have read through it all, but at first glance it doesn't seem like a big change has been made. I am sure the lawsuits will be filed long before they go into play 374 days from now anyway.
  5. Keendriver

Keendriver Hates all of you Supporter

Media:
    I love the rule stating you can only use the 34 restart once per week.......

Are there enough hours in a week to use it anymore than that?
  6. terrylamar

terrylamar Well-Known Member

Sure there are. I have used it more than once a week on many occaisions. I don't see the point in not being able to use it as often as possible. I thought being well rested was one of the goals of the Hours of Service.
  7. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    No. The goal of the regulators is do whatever it takes to get P.A.T.T. to shut up. And PATT won't shut up until it's illegal for anyone to operate an 18 wheeler, at all, ever.
  8. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    What??? We're currently allowed to operate 82 hours a week?? Whaaaat?

168 hrs a week total

70 / 14 = 5 days or 120 hours total, .... + 34 = 154 hrs. 168 hrs minus 154 is 14, + 70 = 84 hours.

I guess theoretically, with five 14 hour shifts, all logged either driving or on duty, then a restart, we could operate 84 hours in a 7 day period with current HOS.

I got a better idea.

How about allowing 70 hours in 5 days, then requiring 56 hours off. That's two full days plus 8 hours.
  9. rigjockey

I'm Just thinking they mean running your log and doing your re-cap , The hours that fall off and the hours you get back.
  10. patriciajnsn

patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder Supporter

It would be so much easier to understand and alot less questions if they would give the HOS in laman terms rather then all this technical jazz.Heck even the DOT has trouble understanding anything when the law is first made public.
  11. terrylamar

Some of you just don't want to make money. Either that, or you expect to be paid for work you don't do.
  12. rigjockey

Just pay me by the hour like everyone else in the free world . My time is as valuable as anyone elses on the dock if not more because they get home everynight .
  13. knucklehead

knucklehead King of the Road

"don't want too make money"that's funny. why then do drivers complain about not making enough?

The problem is being detained @ the docks. Loading or unloading. That's where drivers get screwed. Expected to run all night when they've been awake all day.

If they don't load or unload you in a timely manner, is that the drivers fault? Drivers run cause the dispatcher wants the freight to move. Whether they've been detained or not.

Drivers should just not run illegal. Then, the shippers and receivers will know that their delaying drivers has consequences.

Freight is LATE!

Hours of Service look good on paper. It's up to the drivers to make shippers, receivers and dispatchers not expect them to drive illegal.
  14. terrylamar

When I'm detained at docks, I leave.
  15. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    If it matters, I pressed REALLY HARD on the left mouse button when I clicked "Like".
  16. knucklehead

you leave, so how do you make money? just kidding
  17. terrylamar

You can't get shippers to load you, so your answer is to take hours away from me? What did I do?
  18. knucklehead

Don't take it out on that poor lil mouse. Ha ha ha
  19. terrylamar

I go find someone willing to load me in a timely manner.
  20. knucklehead

Yes Sir, what goes round comes round. Of course, we all are allowed to just flip em off an leave.

Tho, I've done that plenty too.