1. For those of you who were unaware, Dr. Daliah Wachs is a member of our community who donates tons of time here with her expert medical advice (and some humor as well....)

Dr. Daliah is currently raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to help save kids with blood cancer. See the link below for more information, and for our current members, a $15 donation will also give you a 1 year supporting membership upgrade to our forum. Click the link below for more information:

$5 To Save A Life

kingpins replaced

Discussion in 'Truck Maintenance and Repair' started by boone315, May 10, 2012.

1. boone315

boone315 SPACE TRUCKING

Need some advice, had kingpins replaced, on the way home from garage, my bobtail was all over the road like I was drunk. Is it bushings not put in right or maybe just needs an alignment? seems like everything was tight, gonna take it back and have the guy look at it tomorrow
  2. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

You ALWAYS should have the alignment done whenever you do any parts changes to the steer axle. Also, I have found in talking with a guy who is a great alignment tech and teaches it at the local tech school, that when a driver gets the truck back after something like getting kingpins done, the driver has to "relearn" the driving of that particular truck. Recently, saw this with a guy that got his kingpins done and got an alignment. He complained about the truck being "all over the place", and come to find out he was still mentally compensating for how the truck handled before. Once he realized this, the truck steered fine. It is kinda similar to a shooter developing a "flinch" and his shooting is off. Once he realizes it, and corrects it, then he shoots better.
  3. jostby

jostby Member

My guess is they got them too tight and now the steering won't relax to center.
  4. Racer X 69

Racer X 69 Member

Boone, did the shop re-align the steering, and also check the drive axle alignment? And what kind of shape are the tires in?
  5. blackw900

blackw900 Flatbedder For Life!

Your steering will always be a little weird after you replace the kingpins, The truck will kind of "wander" for the first 1000 miles or so until they settle in.
    In other words....This is normal.
  6. boone315

boone315 SPACE TRUCKING

No, getting it aligned next week after the holiday

You are right, it has improved but when I hit a bump it feels like I am about to lose control so am getting the alignment.
  7. RACEFAN

RACEFAN Space Truckin Supporter

Any chance it's a loose nut behind the wheel? lol/jk.
  8. blackw900

They ALWAYS have to be aligned after you do the kingpins....To me it's just the final step in the kingpin installation.
  9. boone315

boone315 SPACE TRUCKING

The guy who did the work doesn't have the stuff to do an alignment, gotta take it to Watertown.
  10. blackw900

I usually try to do the kingpins when I need new steer tires...I get the kingpins done, drive to the tire shop (that also does the alignment) put on new tires and then get it aligned.
  11. Racer X 69

Racer X 69 Member

All it takes to do an alignment is two straight edges, four blocks to hold them up high enougn to get them in the right position along the sides of the tires, the tools to loosen, adjust, and tighten the steering link, a tape measure, and a helper to hold the end of it for you.

I replaced lots of kingpins in my days as a wrench, and performed the rudimentary alignment using the tools described here, and most of the time when the truck went to the alignment shop nothing needed changed.

If nothing else, setting the toe after changing the king pins made the truck safe to drive to the alignment shop.