Freightliner Argosy 2012

Discussion in 'Freightliner' started by mosesanderson, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    When I worked at that crane place, one of the older guys spent a few weeks stretching a truck. He turned a day-cab bobtail into a straight truck. After stripping it down, he basically just cut the frame in half making diagonal cuts (to maximize the surface area for the welds) and moved the back half about 15-20 feet back with the overhead crane, then a flatbed truck delivered the extension pieces for the frame. We welded the extensions in, used a couple of 4 foot long scraps to overlap the welds and bolt on for reinforcement, then spent another week or two re-doing the wiring and air lines and stuff. The custom drive shaft was made somewhere else and delivered to our shop. After it was stretched out, I put a flat bed body on it and another guy helped me mount a 40 ton telescopic crane to it and make a big H-shaped boom rest on the tail.

I'm not sure how practical it would be to stretch out a brand new truck vs. ordering one already that long though. This was something the owner of the company got cheap at an auction and decided to do this to it, then sell it. So the labor involved was not at retail markup, it only cost him what he paid the employees. The labor costs is probably the only thing that made it practical.
  2. Racer X 69

Racer X 69 Member

Like I said, the truck would be ordered with the frame and wheelbase needed.

And the guy you mentioned that "stretched" the frame on that rig would have been better off just replacing the frame rails with ones the length needed. It would be stronger and safer than the cut and paste method. I have replaced frame rails on big trucks before. It is a fairly common practice. The frame rail gets cracks on one side or the other (or both) and if the truck is otherwise in good shape it is worth the expense to do it.
  3. terrylamar

terrylamar Well-Known Member

Obviously, I have a 387. It is OK, plenty of room, but it is too heavy. I like the coventional Pete's, though they are not aerodynamic. Reducing operating cost (fuel mileage) is important to me. This is where the 386 comes in. It is conventional inside, light and is aerodynamic. I am searching for one all the time. What I want is on set up for heavy haul, maybe not a full blown HH truck, but one that will do the job. Cat. engine, full gauges, 244 WB, 18 sp. tansmission with over 2K torque, double frame (at least a heavy frame), 3 axle, liftable/steerable, 20,000 front axle, 46,000 rear axles, 3:55 or 3:78 rears and a 63" midroof. Even with all the extras, I might come in lighter than my 387. Once I have the basic truck, I can add all the little extras.
  4. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    We have both Pete 386's and KW T-660's. At first glance I can't tell them apart. But I've driven both models, new ones and old ones (old meaning almost ready for trade-in. They trade them at 500k) Equipped the way they order them, they're about 18,000 lbs full of fuel. I think the Petes are 17,5 and the KWs are about 18k. (and our few remaining Volvo super-cabs like Racer drives weigh 20,300 full of fuel!)

You get in a Pete for a while and you think it's a nice truck because it rides nice, has no body roll, handles good in a crosswind, etc. Then you get in a KW T-660 and though the trucks don't look much different, it's a night and day difference. The Kenworths are WAY nicer. They're quiet, the door seals don't whistle, you don't need to put 4" wooden blocks on your clutch pedal to get it all the way to the firewall for the clutch brake without your ass coming up off the seat. (I'm 6 ft tall and I can barely pin those Peterbilt 386 clutch pedals to the floor while remaining seated, unless the seat is so far forward my knee is up against the ignition key all the time.) The sleepers are exactly the same size but the KW has more storage space and a wider mattress. And in the KW, the shifter is tighter, a smaller double-H pattern while the Petes are sloppy and loose even when they're brand new.

The only thing about the full height KW's we have is you'll be hitting your head on the ceiling all the time for a couple weeks until you get used to the fact that the floor in the sleeper is 4 or 5 inches lower than the cab floor, and there's also a major drop in the ceiling height there too, so you're stepping UP while also having to duck down too. But you'll probably want a flat-top if you're not pulling a 13'6" reefer with it.

The Pete 386's are not a bad truck after you get used to the clutch. But the KW is a hell of a lot nicer.

Both models of truck, in the fleet were averaging 7.2 mpg, running 65 mph with vans. And that was with the 2007 tree-hugger technology. They're getting more like 6.5 with the 2010 SCR systems (pee-bottle tank built into the truck so you can pee in your exhaust system). I have no idea how much it costs to keep them full of DEF because I refuse to drive them, as long as they still have older models in the fleet.
  5. terrylamar

Interesting take on the Kenworths. i definately want an "older" model. 2007 or 2008. Look at the roof on the Kenworth, if it has those buttugly window/skylights it is not a Peterbilt. Maybe I will check out a Kenworth.
  6. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, that's what I do. The KW's have that somewhat conical shaped roofs almost the same as on the old anteater models.
  7. terrylamar

Buttugly, I say, buttugly. I would go for a Kenworth if a midroof was available. I'm going to look in the Truck Paper to see what options may be available.
  8. rigjockey

rigjockey Damned Fernour! Staff Member

Amazing, KW spent all that time and money on skylight widows,lol . The only ones that get opened on mine are the two on the side to let in the fresh air during the spring and fall when a nice cool breeze can be caught and I don't have to burn my bosses fuel.
  9. terrylamar

My next truck will be a midroof! I didn't notice until now, that you live on KW Blvd. I know you changed that!
  10. mosesanderson

mosesanderson New Member

This is what International Has come up with

This is what they have come up with here in New Zealand the 2012 9800i Eagle

Cummins ISX engine (either 550hp, 1850ft/lb torque or 615hp, 2050ft/lb torque), Eaton/Fuller 18-speed manual or auto, flat floor, tare weight 7750kg with 500 litres fuel X 2.

ai842.photobucket.com_albums_zz350_vicandval_Interphoto.jpg

awww.alliedpublications.co.nz_site_allied_images_12_TDDec10_bigtest.jpg

astatic.commercialmotor.com_big_lorry_blog_assets_c_2010_10_Co6afb1d9ba82e00812523939741d2b7c4.jpg

For Intertruck, it is more than just meeting new emissions. The intention has been to raise the 9800i profile and its capability not only to meet, but exceed buyer expectations. Still using the proven aluminium cab, a number of differences to its predecessor’s visual appearance and power train have taken place.
    The Eagle cab is raised 100mm to improve air flow, cab sound levels and to cater for EGR design factors. The headlight panels and under-cab panels incorporate the 100mm height increase. Subtle changes to the cab entry step design are made to improve step positioning to assist the shorter driver. The Eagle commands the best and safest entry and egress compared to other North American cab-overs, having steps straight up and into the cab.
    The striking stainless steel grill replaces the smaller plastic grill and provides a significant airflow increase of 40 percent.
    Round headlights with free-form technology provides better lighting, a new appearance and low replacement cost. Added are subtle day time runners. Both lighting combinations are completed with polished stainless surround bezels. Driving lights, Hella Rallye 4000 series, 9” spread beam, are mounted on the 12mm thick Ali-Arc bumper. All these items are standard fitment.
    A factory double bunk sleeper is now standard. Subtle differences in styling are incorporated in the addition of sleeper upper windows along with a less intrusive upper bunk when in the down position (this bunk option can be deleted). Storage cabinets in the sleeper have changed with improved lighting for the night reader. The flat floor feature is unchanged with a normal-height driver having head clearance when walking between the seats.
    The standard roof sleeper will be offered as an indent option for height sensitive needs.
    The driver’s seat is upgraded to the ISRI 6800 series with an adjustable shock absorber and an integral seat belt, along with the many other features this model offers. The ISRI seat has been fitted to some recent Eagles with excellent reviews from drivers.
    The stainless sun visor adds a distinguished look and is offered as a standard fitment on all double bunk sleepers. The aero package has been completely revamped to provide optimum fuel efficiency.
    Intertruck has partnered with New Zealand suppliers supporting New Zealand manufacturing. This list includes the complete aero package, cab front and side panels, stainless grill and sun visor, and alloy bumper, which gives the added advantage that supply is instantaneous for production and service parts.
    The Cummins ISX EGR engine is self compliant and does not require urea for emission standards. Cummins have signed off in New Zealand a 615hp, 2050ft/lb torque rating and offers 550hp, 1850ft/lb as standard.
    The Eaton 20918 AS-3 auto-shift is standard on all highway spec trucks. The heavy duty spec (with Meritor Air Link suspension at 90t GCM) remains with a 20918-B manual shift. Customers ordering trucks for production can have either option. The Eaton Ultra-Shift Plus transmission 2 pedal with an electronic clutch will be introduced in the third quarter 2011.
  11. mosesanderson

mosesanderson New Member

Australia Kenworth

More Ugly Crap From Australia
  12. Chris397

Chris397 Member

You should really try those DEF trucks. If thats the only choice I had. Regin or DEF I would definately go with the DEF. Ideally what you want is a non E.G.R., non Regin ,non D.E.F., truck. But since we cant find those much anymore we take the 2nd best thing. A D.E.F. Why? Engineers how found a cheat to this emmisions crap. More fuel = more smoke right? Not with D.E.F. More fuel+more smoke+more urea=no problem. The urea gets rid of the smoke. The glory days of high horsepower are back. Just keep spraying urea at it. lol
  13. Chris397

Chris397 Member

Well I really liked the new Argosy. I drive down the road in my Century thinking about it like a ugly fatboy thinks about the blond girl down the steet. lol. I wish they would of used the shorter wheelbase to find room for a rv style restroom/shower but I guess we will have to wait another 10 years for that. By the time the truck manufactuers realize we cant find a place to park to use the restroom we'll all be in the hospital with ruptured bladders.
    On the other hand hand think how easy it would be to back into a dock at bens beauty supply in TX. Or borg warner in NC. Or those chicken plants in Chicago. How many times have you been down a road and said to yourself "I hope theres not a low overpass down here. " because your worried you wont be able to turn around. With a cabover it sure would be alot easier to turn around if you needed to.
    The bottom line is, your trading comfort for peace of mind. Peace of mind sure is comfortable though.
  14. Jersey Mike

Jersey Mike New Member

If it's got a hood, it's no good!! Haha.
  15. Racer X 69

Racer X 69 Member

The noses look like they are swollen.

I suppose they need to be large for the oversize cooling package needed for the high power rigs that pull the road trains Down Under.